September 11, 2018 at 10:45 pm
Pretty sure that third guy is supposed to be Funky. Because, who the hell cares.
Batiuk sure doesn’t, and I guess you’re right: Big Walnut Buck wouldn’t refer to the ‘Goats as “our team.” When have we ever seen Funky this fired up over a football game? Over anything? He’s sporting the same maniacal expression we saw on Bull’s face as he was leaving
Jerome T. Bushka A&L Automotive Stadium Scapegoat Field last week.
If “our” running back has surpassed Bull’s record by 99 yards then he already has a hundred-yard game; a 142-yard game to be precise. Sophomoric Bull can barely watch, while Sophomoric Linda just keeps getting hotter.
18 responses to “Workin’ in a Goal Mine”
Linda is dead silent all week, except when she’s trying to make her husband feel better. I don’t think you could demonstrate how Batiuk writes women any better than this.
It makes no sense from a football perspective. Then again, it makes no sense from a comic strip perspective either. It’s funny, but if the CTE arc had never happened and these were just regular FW football gags I’d probably be complaining about how it couldn’t possibly be any worse and in that hypothetical scenario I’d be dead wrong. So you can’t go by what I say.
It’s true. Since when has any character in the Fungyverse been this excited by anything?
Check out Fungy’s hands, I’d like to see how they hold a pizza slice.
I guess it can’t be Linda, she doesn’t have a part in her hair you could drive a truck through, and has non-smirking lips.
I know what the Sophomore Sightings thing was supposed to be, but I’m still confused by all this.
Pete and Durwood (and TB) don’t know how sportsball works… what a shock!
Accurate depiction of the typical size of a Westview High football crowd, though.
I’ve been following all week and have no idea what TomBa is up to. We began the week in the Funkyverse present with Pete relating the news about Bull’s record being surpassed. We segued to a series of “Sophomoric Sightings” about the event. Did TomBa forget that Pete and Darin are approaching middle age, work for an actual comics publisher, and woudn’t be writing for the high school paper?
“Forget it Jake, it’s Funkytown.”
And the cast certainly doesn’t include Jack Nicholson.
Mopey and Dorkin are fantasizing about once again writing their old high-school comic strip. I doubt that even the DSM-V has a word for that.
They may not have any idea about how football works but unlike the other characters, they do see one thing for certain: if a person is bad at something, it’s not because there’s a plot against him. Bull was always sort of bad at what he did but did it anyway….just like Batiuk.
He was good at beating the shit out of Les.
Alas, with Les there was always more shit.
Actually, this is a big step forward for Batiuk. Instead of showing the lead up and aftermath of an event, he’s actually showing stuff during the event. Admittedly he’s showing the onlookers, and it’s done in a stupid comic strip, but I’d still say this is progress.
True. I wonder if the reason is an “I’ll show them” reaction to criticism of his usual m.o.
I really don’t get this week though. I think it’s either that the artist finally stood up for himself and refused to draw two (so far) solid weeks of Bull, Linda, and Buck/Funky doing nothing but sitting in bleachers, or Batiuk thought his gags were too weak even for his own strip.
1. Did Funky even go to the game? Why isn’t Hank Hill in this comic instead?
2. To avoid further awkward dialogue, can they please give the “running back” a name? And why is Bull’s successor still an unknown?
3. 99 rushing yards when he was 43 short of the record?? Are Pete+Darrin this bad with sports, or do they not know even first grade level math?
4. And I thought Gil Thorp was bad at game depictions
5. Why the overstimulated excitement? In recent years Westview has beaten their hated rival on last minute plays featuring a girl QB doing a goalline keeper while wearing a formal Homecoming dress, and some geek loser in detention catching a hail Mary while wearing a mascot uniform (a storyline shamelessly stolen from “Lucas”, might I add)
6. Is BWT even a nemesis anymore? It seems like Westview beats them on a fairly regular basis now. You can’t play the sad sack loveable loser card when you’re always winning.