Mindy may be front-and-center in today’s strip, but we all know she isn’t the real star. The real star is…
The Mindy Projection
Filed under Son of Stuck Funky
Tagged as Atomik Komix, awards, Batom's bizarre comic book fantasy world, boredom personified, Chester, Chester the Chiseler, comic books, Comic-Con, comics, Darin, Darin's blue shirt, disembodied hand, Eisner Awards, embarrassing errors a comics fan shouldn't make, endless tedium, enraging hair strands, Flash Freeman, gradient voids, huge hands, knowing smirks, mind-numbing tedium, Mindy, Minty Pete, Mopey Pete, Old dying people, one of those arcs that just never seems to end, pencil necked geeks, Pete, Pete's Plaid Shirt, Ruby, Ruby Lith, silly awards, smirk, smirks, smirks exchanged, stupid, the comic book industry, things that never end, traveling green shirt, undeserved praise, unearned awards, unnatural hand gestures
26 responses to “The Mindy Projection”
HEY FLASH, WHY THE LONG FACE? That’s just downright painful to look at. I mean Ayers could have at least tried to make him look semi-human. Or he could have just used his “male character template”, like how he used his female one for Mindy, who is slowly morphing into a weird amalgam of all the other female characters.
Quit smirking, Mopey, and put your thumb back where you found it.
I see this as I see all of them these days: award fodder.
“Hell-oo, ladies? Did you see how I used one of my female characters to get another female character inducted into a Hall Of Fame? Pretty awesome, right? I know those eyelashes are wavin’ at me, I can just feel it, and I’m hep to it! Any awards you might have hanging around for an awesome guy like me?”
So, after a few glasses of champagne, Ruby decided she DID know how to thank Mindy and proceeded to give her a sensual back and shoulder massage right in the Atomik offices.
After tomorrow (and Sunday’s sideways cover?), please tell me this nonsense takes a hiatus for a few weeks until the group flies out to San Diego. Maybe this time they won’t burn the state down.
Mindy’s expression in panel 1 is supposed to say “I’m humbly proud,” but what it really says is “Help me, Pete. It’s touching me. Oh, god! It’s TOUCHING me!!
And that smell…she smells like my grandpa Ed.
How does Flatch Floppyhead’s pencil neck support that Easter Island skull? I guess it doesn’t matter – the point is that the Mindo got to give Minto the “I’m just a little girl getting all the credit that you deserve” shrug. Silly girl. How adorable.
The Comic Con Comic Book Hall Of Fame board room:
“Hey, some chick in Ohio wants us to honor some old codgers. Flash Freebird and Ruby Gish, supposedly they wrote comic books eighty years ago or something. Whaddya think?”
(Staring at phone) “Huh? Wha? Flash who? Moby what? Yeah, sure, whatever, who cares?”
“Cool, I’ll let her know they’re in. And the guy who used to draw the puzzles on the back of Alpha Bits boxes, I always liked him.”
Mindy getting all of the credit here, but most of it really should go to the hall of fame’s panel of electors for their incredibly poor judgement.
Is it really that bad, though? These people have in-universe careers that would warrant it. The questions of why now, and what strings Pete pulled to get this done, are completely ignored. In today’s strip, Ruby’s not even thanking the right person. And her doing so implies that Ruby knows the election was rigged on her behalf, and doesn’t care. That’s a very Batiukian attitude. “Yeah, I’ll take my award and congratulate myself, even if it has all the legitimacy of Kim Jong-Un’s election.”
Of course, it’s possible that Batiuk intends this all to be entirely above board. But the story doesn’t tell us this, and the process bears no resemblance to reality, so we’re left to infer what happened. The man excels at making his characters look bad through unintended subtext.
Of course Ruby and Flash’s induction into the hall of fame of all halls of fame is deserved in the context of the Batiukverse. It is just that the jokes are funnier if it isn’t.
Since all we have seen are underwhelming snippets of Ruby and Flash’s work in this strip, and since the real life parallels to Ruby’s “woman in ye old thyme comics bullpen” stories are dubious to outright non-existent… I feel comfortable mocking every inch of these characters.
I like to think the Hall of Fame didn’t notify Flash or Ruby about their induction because it thinks they both died long ago.
I actually don’t object to Ruby thanking Mindy, so I’m giving this strip my coveted “harmless” rating.
“I don’t know how to thank you!” For what? All Mindy did was ask Pete to get you into the Hall of Fame!
Has anyone ever seen Flash Freeman and Brack from the film “This Island Earth” (https://scifist.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/1955-this-island-earth-033-lance-fuller-e1482018558158.jpg?w=680) together in the same place?
Either way let’s send him to Metaluna in time for the Zagons to incinerate it.
Apparently Flash was a back sleeper as an infant and his parents weren’t aware of the long-term effects.
Worked with a similarly situated guy once. His nickname around the shop was “Flatback”.
And for the second straight day, Mindy’s template is set to “look lovingly at my assigned boyfriend.” For no reason at all that makes any sense in context.
That’s the universal “Tonight I’m going to reward your efforts with sex!” -expression…
Yeah, she’s going to bring him hot chocolate while he reads The Flash.
Another howler from the Funkyblog:
Whenever I was in a place where Funky Winkerbean books were sold, usually on racks in a drugstore, I would go through the rack, find my books, and move them all to the front of the rack. This was based on the God helps those who help themselves theory of marketing.
He’s so earnest.
Even Jim Davis would say “really, dude?” to that.
I’m not going to lie…
1. I admire his candor
2. I’m just pleased he did it himself instead of yelling at some poor cashier making $6.75 an hour and demanding she move his books instead, because to be honest that’s what I would have expected of him
1. Hell, thank your benefactor Chester the Molester — He’s the one who almost certainly transferred a shit-ton of bitcoins to the accounts of the SDCC Board of Directors as a “Charitable Donation” to ensure their compliance… This can be the only reason why Chester has decided to put in a rare appearance at the Atomikkk offices today (along with bringing a bottle of Dom Pérignon and some flutes)…
2. These idiots can stop their celebratory circle-jerk and get back to work any time now…?
3. It’s funny because now Ruby+Flash still have to pretend to be surprised when they get the official notification from the SDCC HOF…
4. Just your daily reminder that for as much as these idiots worship at the altar of 1950s comics, the staff and ownership at Atomikkk Komixxx DID JACK FUCKING SHIT TO “HONOR” AND “CELEBRATE” THESE FOSSILS ALL THIS TIME DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE DAILY FIXTURES IN THE OFFICE!! Can you imagine if “My Father John Darling” cleaned up at the Oscars after not even being nominated for anything at the Westview Film Festival just because Peter Coreleone made a phone call to the Academy? But yeah Batiuk, keep on trying to tell me these assholes are the real superheroes; that they’re keepers of the Golden Age flame and guardians of all that is great and wholesome about comic books from 65 years ago when little kids in small town middle America bought them and a hot dog and a pack of bubblegum cards for a nickel and drank their ovaltine and saved up their allowance to order decoder rings through the mail… It almost feels like Grandpa Simpson is writing this strip?
5. I’m beginning to wonder if Pete only went along with this because he wants to go to ComiCon with first class travel and accommodations on someone else’s dime (Chester’s this time) again…
MEANWHILE, over in Krankenschaaften: I was today years old when I discovered Ed uses one square of tissue in the morning to wipe his, you know, then he puts it in his pocket for later that evening when he flips the square to the *clean* side so he can use it again…(!!) I’m afraid any further exploration into this topic would be beneath me and the polite company assembled here.
Maybe Ed needs to build a barn in his backyard, or just start going in the kitty litter box?? But seriously folks, this man is NOT WELL and should probably get some kind of mental health consultation ASAFP… Because it’s all fun and laughs until Ed starts monitoring the menstrual flow and frequency of what’s-her-name because tampons cost money too, right…?
I can’t even imagine getting by on three squares a day. Not even with the fancy paper. Yeesh.